Green beans are just the beginning! Surrey Farms has string beans, snow peas, snap beans, marbled beans, wax beans…and varieties you never heard of.
Farmer Ron’s recipe for beans, adapted from The New York Times.
- 1 lb of beans (green, string, flat, wax…), with tip removed and cut in half
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of water, white wine, or broth
- 1 – 3 t sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onion 2 -3 minutes until tender
- Add garlic and saute another 2 minutes
- Add the beans, tomato, sugar, and liquid.
- Bring to a rolling boil, then turn very low and cover.
- Cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the beans come back to room temperature before serving.
The beans will not be mushy!